Welcome to the Autumn term!
Hello – this is a page for our special virtual choir, which is happening on Monday evening via Zoom, until we can meet safely and sing together again. It is our aim to stay connected and share music as much as we can. It’s not like singing together in person, but it helps to check in with each other and keep the choir going.
During spring and summer I tried to keep the sessions “drop-in-friendly”, and I would still encourage anyone to come along whenever they feel like it. I don’t know what will happen with us starting real-life sessions, but I’d like to think we can prepare for some outdoor performances around Christmas-time.
Everyone is welcome – do get in touch if you would like a link to join the group. This term.
There are some changes to the normal pattern:
- We can’t sing in harmony in real time, so no four-part harmony for a while. I will teach at least one harmony line – if you love to sing a harmony you can harmonise with me!
- While we sing together you’ll be able to hear me, and you – nobody else
- To help fill out the sound, we will be singing along to the sound files. This will help to give the illusion of singing with a whole choir
- From time to time I may add some guitar to give more depth to the sound
- We are having a tea-break! I schedule this at the beginning of the session so that people can have a little chat and connect before we start to sing. (If we had it half-way through I imagine a lot of people would disappear to switch the kettle on.) Get a cup/glass/ bottle of your favourite drink and join us from 6.45. We break into smaller groups at 7, or when it gets busy, and have a 10-minute chat before re-convening at 7.15 to warm up.
September 28th – Don’t Fence Me In
Feeling a bit claustrophobic? Want to stretch your wings and get away from home? Join in with this classic Cole Porter, arranged by Jane Edwardson:
We will also be learning
Lovely song written by Janis Ian, early in lockdown.
We’ll be singing this version by Penny Stone from Edinburgh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkyE5PqW1Iw
September 14th – With a Little Help from My Friends
We’ll kick off the new school year with a song most people know. There are 3 parts to this – none of them very complicated, so let’s enjoy celebrating friendship!
Apologies for the quality of the sound files – they’re a bit ropey but you will get the gist. Also, this is the version without the fancy ending, but we’ll probably sing the fancy ending. Why not? Nobody can hear you!
Here’s a pdf of the music and words:
Somos el barco
This is a song we learnt for the first time at the beginning of lockdown and I love it. Another one about how connected we all are, and how we can get through tough times together.
Here is a link to Peter, Paul and Mary singing this:
- Their tune in the verses is slightly different from how I’ve sung it, and the lyric in verse 2 where I’ve gone for “many sands” which I think is the original, they sing “every land”.
And here is the sheet with words and music:
Songs from previous weeks are still on Rehearsal Notes